Diamond Rings


A long time ago, I started making a 4-patch quilt like my great grandma's. Matching prints, vintage aqua background instead of the green. Lots of 4.5" pieces left over.

As you know, I LOVE making quilts out of scraps of other quilts (like Mermaid School and Tiny Seas).


As I was sewing the top for my great grandma quilt, I couldn't stop thinking about what I'd do with the scraps. I was pretty sure I wanted to try a stacked coin quilt. Once the other quilt top was finished, I quickly sewed scraps together into rows and put them up on the design wall.


I didn't like it. I wasn't inspired by the layout. I started moving things around, playing with the stacks.

When I finally tried this diamond design, I was hooked. Except, I didn't have enough scraps! So, I cut more 4.5" pieces and got back to sewing.


I absolutely LOVE how this quilt turned out. It's so fun and pretty. Of all the quilts I've ever made, this and the unfinished great grandma quilt are the most "me" in terms of colors and fabrics. Vintage feedsack reprints, pink/green/aqua/navy, apples and chickens and flowers. Perfection!!

I gave this quilt to my friend Mary, a fellow lover of vintage fabrics and chickens. She, like me, is a maker of things, a creator and doer. I love giving quilts to people who know what it takes to make things. There's a common bond, an understanding, an appreciation. It's a good feeling, one of the best.

Comments

  1. This is a great quilt! Love all the use of the scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Occasionally, I search for your blog to see how your doing. Hope you have a terrific 2018! <3 Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, hope you're having a wonderful 2018!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment