Mermaid Quilt: Finished!

It's July and "Mermaid School" is officially in session!

Mermaid School Quilt

I can't wait to give this to my aunt this weekend. Unless she reads my blog (which she might, who knows) she'll be totally surprised that I finished it so quickly (I checked with her right before I started cutting to make sure she'd like the colors...but she doesn't know what the fabric looks like). To be honest, we're all a little surprised I finished it so quickly, right? It took just a month and a week!

I was planning to quilt 1/4" away from the zig-zag seams but the more I looked at the finished top, the more I didn't like that idea. I wanted something softer, something a little more organic. At the exact moment I started to freak out about what to do, I found my missing darning foot! I decided to do meander quilting instead and I love it!

Mermaid School Quilt

The quilt measures about 66x76 and both the top and bottom have zig-zag edges. From the start I was planning to bind it with a brown stripey Mendocino print but in the end, I found the brown too jarring (and it turns out I wouldn't have had enough anyway). Instead I used one of my treasured Neptune fabrics: Tortoise Shell in Pacific. I didn't know how to bind the inside corners but a quick google search turned up a few tutorials. Turns out, it's easier than binding a regular (outside) corner.

Mermaid School Quilt

It's backed with a tan sand print which goes well with the the front and is appropriate to the theme. Also, the sashing on the front is Kona Snow. The pattern is, of course, adapted from Elizabeth Hartman's New Wave Quilt pattern.

Mermaid School Quilt

Now all I have to do is wash it and wrap it up with a big bow! I hope she likes it!