I Love You but You Don't Know What You're Talking About

moonrise1

It is with great excitement and much happiness that I present to you my new favorite quilt inspired by my favorite movie: Moonrise Kingdom.

It's based on a screenshot of a quilt from the movie, a quilt that is so uglybeautiful that I just could NOT stop thinking about it.

moonrise4

Most of the fabrics are Denyse Schmidt prints paired with gingham and various other prints that reminded me of men's button-up shirts. The back is mostly the reprinted Katie Jump Rope ribbon floral with a strip of prints along one edge to get the backing up to size.

moonrise6

moonrise3

Working on this quilt was so, so fun. The entire process, from choosing fabrics to making the blocks to the challenge of basting such a large quilt, all of it was just easy, natural. I found myself following my instincts rather than overthinking everything like I usually do. And the end result is, in my opinion, just right. Just the right size, just the right look, just the right feelings associated with the process and finished product. Complete satisfaction!

moonrise5

I forget exactly how big this turned out, around 96" square. It was a last minute decision to make it big enough for our queen sized bed and it was totally the right decision. I LOVE it so much and plan to use it as our summer quilt for all eternity!

moonrise2

Now that this is finished, I have other Moonrise Kingdom inspired projects to plan. That movie is just so inspiring and I want my whole life to be just like it.

Comments

  1. It's gorgeous! I'm awed by the size. I love that katie jump rope print too. my favorite was the yellow one and sadly I don't think they reprinted that color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I guess I have to watch the movie now. I'm sure Sean will love it. I'm not quite sold yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am IN LOVE with this quilt! I think you totally captured the feel of the Moonrise Kingdom quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment