Perennial Obsessions

I'm crushing on hexagons again. And unsurprisingly, one year ago, nearly to the day, I was crushing on hexagons too (among other things).

hexagons

Does this happen to you? I feel like I'm in a yearly version of Groundhog Day. Every year at the same time as the year before, I get these strange longings...like how I get the overwhelming urge to read The Three Musketeers every fall...or how every summer I get obsessed with making a Renaissance dress, even though I don't actually want to make one.

hexagons

Some years I even want to re-read books I didn't like very much, or worse, disliked enough to stop reading halfway through. Suddenly, that's the only book I want to read...until I get halfway through and remember why I stopped reading it the last time.

hexagons

It's very odd...and sort of disturbing. I mean, I didn't decide to become obsessed with hexagons again...it's just hardwired in my brain. On the other hand, it's nice because I can be obsessed with a project for a while and then come back to it a year later with renewed verve!

So, last year I thought I'd make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt but the thought of making all those white hexagons is really turning me off. Instead, I've worked up a plan to use my hexes without any white space. And no flower pattern.

hexagons

My current stash of hexes is 122 and I'll need 142 more. I'd love to work up a couple of hexes a day and have them ready to stitch together by June 1. If I'm still obsessed with this new quilt idea it'll be my summer "sitting in the shade on the patio sipping lemonade and listening to the birds sing" project.

Of course, by then I'm sure I'll be obsessed with something else and I'll forget all about my hexes until next year. -sigh-

Comments