Miscellaneous thoughts

-Ugh, apparently, no one who received an invitation to the bachelorette party realized they were supposed to be shoes. Only after I told them did they say “Oh, it is a shoe!” It’s sort of funny now, the best-laid plans and all that…

-I have a dentist appointment today and my dentist is my friend Karrie! It takes us so long to get through a cleaning because we laugh the entire time. It makes the whole thing (even when I have a cavity or worse) really enjoyable. I'm actually excited for my appointment!

-I’m thisclose to buying a Kindle. But I’m chicken because they’re expensive and a lot of people have had problems with them breaking. But I got to play around with one in person on Saturday and now I’ve got the fever.

pin crabapple blossoms

-Karrie and I spent a lazy Saturday lazing around her house. First we lazed around on the patio and then we lazed around in the four season porch. Then we lazed around at the coffee shop. It was fabulous. It all reminded me of the part in The Great Gatsby when Nick finds Daisy and Jordan lazing about in the sun room:

We walked through a high hallway into a bright rosy-colored space, fragilely bound into the house by French windows at either end. The windows were ajar and gleaming white against the fresh grass outside that seemed to grow a little way into the house. A breeze blew through the room, blew curtains in at one end and out the other like pale flags, twisting them up toward the frosted wedding-cake of the ceiling, and then rippled over the wine-colored rug, making a shadow on it as wind does on the sea.

The only completely stationary object in the room was an enormous couch on which two young women were buoyed up as though upon an anchored balloon. They were both in white, and their dresses were rippling and fluttering as if they had just been blown back in after a short flight around the house. I must have stood for a few moments listening to the whip and snap of the curtains and the groan of a picture on the wall. Then there was a boom as Tom Buchanan shut the rear windows and the caught wind died out about the room, and the curtains and the rugs and the two young women ballooned slowly to the floor.


white crabapple blossoms

-I’m currently obsessed with The Decemberists song We Both Go Down Together which you can hear for yourself on the jukebox on their site. I know it’s all sad and tragic but the melody and the music make my heart swell to bursting. I’m not much into music unless it makes me feel something and this one certainly does.

-Three days to go until the bachelorette party. I have to make a couple of trips to a couple of stores and then I'm finished with the planning. I'm quite looking forward to the day...it's supposed to be sunny and warm with a chance of rain late in the evening. I hope the forecast can be trusted. I'm still thinking about the menu...I like to wait until the last minute, which you well know.

Comments

  1. OmG if you get a Kindle I will be so jealous have you seen the new ones coming out soon, they have a bigger screen and hold like 3,500 books. I so want to save my pennies and get one but man that's a lot of money I could be spending on other goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe they didn't realise they were shoes! So obviously gorgeous, scrummy shoes!

    You are so lucky having your dentist as a friend. I'm not totally dentist-phobic but it's not my idea of a good day out:-) We could all do with a laugh at the dentists - it would make it a much more pleasant experience.

    I do love your quote from 'the great gatsby - very evocative and perfect for a lazy summers day..... now we only need summer to arrive properly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so frustrating & disappointing about your invitations. It's difficult to work so hard on something - not just the execution but the concept, too - and have it be misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regina, I know! I'm jealous of myself and I don't even have one yet! I really want the Kindle DX because the K2 screen is so small. And since the contrast on the screen isn't that great, I think I'll need to bump up the text size and then I'd have to turn the page every three sentences. The larger screen would really be the best option for me...especially since I'll be too afraid to take it out of the house because I'll break it. Fitting in my purse won't be a problem then.

    But man, the K2 is expensive and the Kindle DX is really expensive. I'm going to think about it for now but I really wish I could impulse buy the DX. I hate having to think about big decisions because then I always do the responsible thing and I'll probably end up with no Kindle. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, thanks for thinking they're shoes. :) I thought it was obvious and was shocked to hear it wasn't.

    Oh man, we did laugh last night. Except I had a cavity so my mouth was all numb and I bit my lip...but that's ok, we still had fun. I've had so much dental work that I'm totally fine with the dentist, whoever it might be. It's just nicer when it's someone you like.

    Oh Gatsby! I love that book...the imagery is spectacular. It's finally summer here...sorry to hear it hasn't gotten to you yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J,

    I know! I was shocked when I realized no one knew what they were supposed to be. Ugh, devastation! Now I'm feeling better about it but it was sort of disappointing.

    Oh well, at least I knew they were shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment