Back to Black

capitol

flower4

flower5

secret garden

scarf

weaving

I do so love when the days are dark and gloomy. There's a crackling sort of energy in the darkness. And colors take on new life, softened yet enhanced by the grey surroundings.

There's a secret garden near our house. It's locked but from what I can see through the gate, it's lovely in the sunshine, quite charming actually. And yet, I prefer to walk by on a gloomy day. In the garden's dark corners, you will catch a glimpse of movement, hear sounds that you can't quite place. Its true beauty lies in murky and mysterious shadows.

That's also how I feel about the scarf I'm weaving for my brother. I looks black but is really made up of various murky greens, blues and greys. Weaving is so absolutely amazing. I can't believe I'm making real fabric! And it's fast, especially compared to knitting. I set up the warp (9' long x 15" wide) in about 3 hours (it was only my second time setting up the loom so I think this will go faster next time). I'm halfway finished with the weaving...so far 40" in about 5 hours.

Compare that to the tiny bit of a scarf I knitted this weekend. It's 7" wide and about 4" long at this point. And it took me about 3 hours.

The scarf will be a holiday gift for my dad. I'm really in love with the Fisherman's Rib stitch. It makes a double thick, super squishy, super stretchy fabric. I think it will be perfect for my dad who loves to snowblow the driveway any chance he gets.

Anyway, it's back to being sunny today...sigh...there's only so much sun one girl can take, you know? I'm looking forward to the longer nights, darker shadows, and gloomier days to come. Soon...it will happen soon...

Comments

  1. beautiful! love all the subtle color changes in the woven scarf. I really need to get out my loom again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool! I don't even know how this works bc I've never seen one! I love it though!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment