Crabapple Week!

Last week was crabapple week in my neighborhood. Every tree was overflowing with delicious petals of every shade of pink.

crabapple1

When we moved to the city last summer, I was devastated to leave behind our crabapple trees, our lilacs and our lily of the valley grove. Our new place would not have such beauties. I would no longer be able to press my face to their delicate blooms and take in the sweet scent of spring and childhood memories.

crabapple6

Little did I know that, come spring, my new neighborhood would be filled with all of the precious plants I left behind. And not just those...each day brings new blooms, some I've always admired and some that have become new favorites.

crabapple5

Each morning as I walk, I smell scents both familiar and new. Today there was a miniature lilac tree in bloom. It smelled like regular lilacs but with a hint of a dusty attic filled with sunshine. I don't know quite how else to describe it.

crabapple7

I realize now that I didn't just lose a few trees...I gained an entire garden. And even though it is not technically mine, it is no less mine to enjoy.

crabapple4

And enjoy I will...and I hope you do too.

Comments