A Practical (But Pretty!) Baby Gift

So, you know I don't have kids. Aside from baby quilts, I have no idea what to give as baby gifts. I wanted to make Ian's sister a ton of baby things but I also wanted them to be useful. Jen came up with a few gift ideas and I decided on cloth diaper burp rags. Because you don't need to have kids to know that babies spit up...and drool...a lot!

embroidered towel

After much research, I bought OsoCozy Birdseye Flat Diapers, both bleached and unbleached. Apparently they're thicker than most cloth diapers...but I'm certainly no expert.

embroidered towel
(My pink marking pencil didn't wash out...sigh...)


I decided to spruce these up by adding rows of pearl cotton running stitches.

embroidered towel

These towels came pre-hemmed so it was easy to bury my starting/ending knots. (A note: the bleached towels were hemmed on all four sides, the unbleached were hemmed on only two.)

embroidered towel

I marked my lines before I started stitching and I didn't use a hoop. The fabric is a bit of a loose weave which made stitching these quick and easy. I think these will be my go-to baby gift from now on...paired with a quilt, of course!

embroidered towel

So, since I know lots of you have kids...was there something that made your life better when your kids were little? Preferably something that someone could make and give as a gift? All of us crafty, non-kid-having people will thank you!