Couchant on a Field Vert

Alright, here it is...my most favoritest quilt I've ever made:

Castle Peeps Quilt

It measures approximately 4'x5' and is reversible:

Castle Peeps Quilt

I love it so much that I can't find the words to describe how I feel. I can tell you that I had the most fun working on this quilt. Usually I hate piecing quilts (an unfortunate thing for a quilter to hate, I know) but I truly enjoyed every second of every step.

Castle Peeps Quilt

I'm really happy with how the front turned out. You all know how much I love improvisational log cabins! Expect more blocks like this soon.

The back was a very last minute design and could have gone horribly wrong. I'd planned to keep it simple so as to actually finish the quilt in time for the baby shower. But I wanted to use more Castle Peeps in the quilt so I just started making squares. It took me an entire day to piece and I nearly ran out of green fabric.

Castle Peeps Quilt

But I was watching Lord of the Rings and if a hobbit can walk all the way to Mordor, there was no way I was NOT finishing that back!

One of the reasons I had such a fun time making this quilt is because of the fabric. My most favorite greens and browns paired with these castles...

Castle Peeps Quilt

...and these peeps!

Castle Peeps Quilt

I die of cuteness! Also, aside from running out of thread at 8:45 pm and having to run to the store first thing in the morning to get more, the quilting was pretty much the best ever. I think I'm finally getting a handle on this free motion thing. My stitches are hardly ever too long but they are still often too short. Too sort is better than too long, though. I've also stopped getting weird fingers and can now sew a very curvy meander. The quilting is white on the front and light green on the back.

Castle Peeps Quilt

Here's my favorite block. I love those peasants!

Castle Peeps Quilt

And check out how crinkly it got after a trip through the washer and dryer.

Castle Peeps Quilt

Ian was concerned that no amount of appreciation from the recipient would be enough to make me happy, given that this is my favorite quilt of all time. But as much as I wanted to keep it for myself, it was made especially for Stacy and her baby, made with as much love as I could pour into it...I know that giving it away was the right thing to do.

Castle Peeps Quilt

Plus, stealing quilts from babies is a jerky thing to do, I'm sure.

*Update* I just remembered that I named this quilt while I was making the back. It's called "Couchant on a Field Vert". Do you remember when Springfield Elementary had a "Medieval Faiyieyre"? Millhouse's coat of arms is a Spider-Man couchant on a field vert. Couchant means lying down and Field Vert is a green background. I'm pretty sure a baby couchant on this quilt will be pretty sweet!