Olympics, 1960 and Today

squaw valley 2009

I've really been enjoying the Olympics this year. It brings back memories of my own days as an Olympic athlete.

The year was 1960, the place: Squaw Valley, California. My fellow American figure skaters were in top form...ecstatic to be skating on home soil.

squaw valley

We practiced day and night in the Olympic Ice Pavilion...

squaw valley

...stopping on occasion to take in the view of beautiful Lake Tahoe.

Those were the happiest days of my life.

squaw valley 2009

The thrill of competition, the agony of defeat. Pushing myself to the limit and never looking back.

And while I didn't win the gold, I took home something even better. The real prize was the experience, the friends and the moments I'd never forget.

squaw valley 2009

So, here's to you, 2010 Olympic athletes: may all your Axels be triples. I know mine were...