Custom ironing table

I got a question regarding my ironing table and rather than reply in the comments, I thought I'd do a proper post with pictures. First, I bought a Vika Amon table from ikea. It's nearly 2'x4' which is wide enough to iron an entire width of quilting fabric. It's also a very, very light table which is important because I like my studio to be flexible...I have to be able to move things around when I need more floor space for a project.

I bought two additional tables to use as my cutting table and my sewing table. I like things to match but it's also nice that they're all the same size and height (I push them together to make one large work surface for free motion quilting).

underneath

I found a picture of the underside...I hope it helps. I used four layers of cotton quilt batting and taped the ends underneath. At the time I didn't have a staple gun but the tape is easy to remove so I think I like it better anyway. To make the cover I cut a rectangle out of cotton fabric, turned over the edge and sewed to make a casing for the drawstring. There's a great tutorial at the Purl Bee. Next time I'll make the cover larger to cover more of the underside.

I read that using tinfoil between the layers would help protect my table but I couldn't stand the tinfoil sound so I took it out. If the table top gets ruined, I can buy another one for $15...but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to use it for another purpose anyway.

Also, the table stands lower than my traditional ironing board which might be a concern for some people. Fortunately, the lower height works well for me. I don't like to have to hold the iron too high because it gives me headaches.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I've found that a rectangular surface significantly decreases the time it takes to iron fabric. Now ironing yards and yards of fabric is fun, if you can imagine that. I still use my old ironing board for skirts...but pants and shirts work fine on the new ironing table.