Hmmm, I'm finding it challenging to write a dress diary on my blog. I just don't know what information is necessary or interesting or if anyone even cares. So, I guess I'll just keep it simple and you can ask questions if you feel like it. Then everyone wins!
Day 1: The corset.
Correct corsetry and undergarments are so important when it comes to creating the right silhouette. I spent a few hours on day 1 tracing my old Venetian corset and adapting it to fit the new and improved 2009 Crystal. Here are my two layers of cotton duck cloth, pinned and waiting for me to sew the bottom edge together:
After I sewed the bottom edge, the next step was to mark and sew the boning channels:
Sorry for the bad picture...and there are more bad pictures to come so sorry in advance. I cut the fabric for my skirt but didn't have the energy to start sewing it. And then I couldn't find my boning so I called it a night.
Day 2: The skirt.
The skirt is made from two panels of 54" wide silk. Laura found this fabric first but let me have it because she's a great friend. The original cost of this fabric was $60/yd but through some lucky circumstances, I got it for just $10.50/yd. Laura and I almost died!
I've gotten quite good at matching patterns on skirts, if I do say so myself. I've also gotten quite good at cartridge pleating (I love that I'm so modest):
I really love the hand-sewing aspect of costuming. Some things, like cartridge pleating, can't be done by machine. I like sitting down with my needle and thread and an episode (or four) of Buffy (the Vampire Slayer, of course) and just sewing. With the exception of the tv, it's just like the days before sewing machines, before electricity. Calm, quiet, slow and steady.
Anyway, back to the pleating. I put a layer of cotton batting in the fold so my pleats would be just a bit puffier. There's more pleating work to be done but it has to wait until the corset is finished.
Click here for the next installment. I'll be modeling my corset...scandalous!