The Temple of Doom

Ok, my last post about my trip. I think.

My mom, my aunt and I were up at 6:30 and felt restless. We still had the van for another couple of hours so we stole it and went to find the Mayan ruins we’d heard were on the island. While the other ladies slept, we drove through the tiny city of El Cedral. The town was sleepy too.
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

We drove in circles, coming to dead end after dead end. We were surprised by these cows who didn’t seem surprised by us:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

We passed tiny houses:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

and fancy houses:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

and finally found someone who was willing to talk to us. We asked about the Mayan ruins and they pointed across the center of the town:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

We got out of the van and walked through the large open huts (all decorated for a christmas celebration)
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

and then we saw it:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

the tiniest Mayan ruin in existence! It was probably only 10’ high. We weren't even allowed inside. Next to it was this fantastically orange church:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

We drove back to the hotel and had a quick breakfast with the rest of the ladies. Then we piled back in the van to go horseback riding:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

I didn’t join them. I was only there because my grandma asked me to take pictures for her. Once they left, I headed down to the beach and waited for their return:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

I still can’t believe how beautiful this crazy world of ours can be.

So that’s it. I might remember some more stories in a bit but for now, these are the most memorable moments.

Wait, one more memorable moment…the first breath of fresh, cold, Minnesota air. It was like heaven on earth. I was so happy to be back in the snowy north, home at last. The sunset that night was even better than the first sunset I saw in Mexico, when the sun sank into the sea, lighting the clouds on fire.

Comments