A Yarn Dyeing Commission

jen yarn

This weekend I dyed up a bunch of DK weight yarn for my friend Jen who is making a granny square blanket. I was so, so happy to have an excuse to dye more yarn!

In order to get more variety in her blanket, I divided up 5 skeins into 15 mini skeins. We have some teal, turquoise and grey blues:

jen yarn2

And purple because she loves purple. A "true" purple with speckles, a red-purple, a purple that accidentally looks kind of like Madelinetosh Flashdance and the one on the right is a color changer, from light bluey-grey to dark purple.

jen yarn3

I love these, a nice warm grey, a spruce with olive speckles and a bright green with orange (I don't know why, I just had to try it).

jen yarn4

Here's another color changing yarn. This was only the first step (I didn't think Jen would want the white) and the finished skein looks quite different (forgot to photograph it, of course). Actually, I forgot to photograph four of the color changers...well, you can kind of see them on the left in the top photo. Anyway, for my next batch of sock minis, I'm going to try this again but keep the white. I think it'll knit up really neat.

jen yarn5

You guys, I just...I just can't even begin to describe how I feel when dyeing yarn. There's this little fire inside that I haven't felt in a long, long time.

So, thank you again Sara for all your encouragement and tips and for the supplies so I could get started right away. And thank you Jen for wanting my yarn and letting me go nuts and dye up tons of colors for you. I've been having just the best time!

And finally, a picture of Extra-cat because I cannot resist a cat in a basket.

extra19

Comments

  1. O.M.G. I LOVE THEM! EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. I'm not even sure I can pick a favorite right now!!! You nailed the colors I was going for! I love them so much! In the top picture, the 3rd from the left, swoon! The rich greens…they are all so pretty! I can't wait to see them in person! So since I have all this DK weight yarn and I want to make a blanket…do you think that weight is ok? I know it's sort of thin, but I wanted more dyed yarn to go with the MT I have and the colors are so pretty. I want a blanket! I guess it will be a delicate, light blanket! ;) Since I don't know how to knit or crochet clothes, I'm sort of limited to a blanket anyway. I think it's going to be gorgeous and I can't wait to get started now! I may have to put the other one I started aside bc I like this yarn so much better! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such gorgeous rich colors! that is going to be one beautiful blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment