Road Trip

dad1

dad8

dad5

dad7

dad2

dad4

dad6

Road Trip. This quilt was a labor of love. It started the day I saw the "Happy Campers" print from the Circa60 Beach Mod Collection by Monaluna.

It took a split second for this quilt design to pop into my head. It would be a quilt for my dad. It would represent all the road trips and family vacations we had taken during my childhood. I would embroider the blocks with the names of places we visited. Some blocks would have woodgrain frames and it would be bound with woodgrain fabric. It would have a cozy flannel backing. It would be finished for Father's Day 2012.

And three years later, February 2015, it is finally finished! It looks exactly as I had imagined it and I am so, so happy with how it turned out.

It was a long road but well worth the time and effort. I learned how to make Y-seams. I embroidered almost every block even though I don't actually like to embroider. And best of all, I thought about our trips while I worked. That long trip to the coast, the shorter trips up to the North Shore. Those memories are so precious to me and to my dad. I wanted to give him a reminder of those times and how much they meant to me, how much he means to me.

And so, it was with great pleasure and much love that I gave this quilt to my dad on his 59th birthday, February 22, 2015. Happy three-years-worth of birthdays, father's days and Christmases!

Finished size: 60" x 84"

Comments

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME! He is going to LOVE it!! It turned out beautiful! And how memorable! That is such a neat idea to embroider places you went together growing up. This is such a fantastic gift you can give him! I love the design, I love the colors, I love everything about it. It's perfect Crystal!!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, and it turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment