Selvedges

selvedges2

rainbow

selvedges

selvedges3

curtain

selvedge blocks

For the past two months, I've been diligently working to cross items off my to-do list. These are mainly small goals that will keep me on track for finishing up holiday gifts. I'm trying to not wait until the last minute this year.

By this weekend, I'd finished most of this month's to-do list items and thought that making a few flag quilt blocks wouldn't throw me too off track. And then as I was sewing those, I cut the selvedges off my newest fabrics and added them to my two bins of selvedges. And that made me annoyed that I'm low on storage space in my sewing room and totally out of bins and yet I'm using two of them to store selvedges. And then I thought that if I'd just make a few selvedge blocks for my someday selvedge quilt, I'd be able to free up one of the bins. And that lead to an hour of looking at selvedge quilts on flickr to help me decide on a design.

And an entire day later, I finally finished a couple of selvedge blocks. I will say that making these blocks is super fun! I can't believe I waited so long to give it a try. As I sew each strip to the next, it's so fun to look at the selvedges and remember all the fabrics I've purchased over the years. It also made me feel a little sick about all the fabrics I've purchased over the years. I need to get sewing again and use some of it up.

The good and bad news is: after an entire day of sewing, I have not even put a dent in the pile of selvedges. I'm really curious to see how many 6.5" blocks I can make from my enormous stash. I'll keep you posted!

Comments

  1. i love selvage quilts. i have a pretty large stash of them as well, though i did use a ton to make a crocheted fabric rug awhile back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment