Grandmother's Flower Garden

Since most of my Sunday quilts will take a long time to finish, I'd like to start making a few blocks here and there. I don't want to jump in like a crazy woman and then get sick of everything halfway through. I'm trying to set small, manageable goals and, most of all, have fun and not stress out about it.

If you've read my blog for a while, you know I have an on-again, off-again relationship with hexagons. About once a year I get all excited to make a grandmother's flower garden quilt and about a day after that, I give up again. Every year I say "this year will be different" and every year I fail miserably.

My only experience sewing hexagons is English paper piecing. I like it alright but if I'm being honest, I don't really enjoy hand sewing. I think I do and I make up a cozy spot on the couch and sit down with my sewing and feel all Ma Ingalls-y...for about two minutes until I remember that I don't like hand sewing at all! So, you know, that's what happens with the hexies.

summery hexagons

Just yesterday I was perusing blogs and found Kati's beautiful flower garden quilt. Not only is it visually stunning but it's also pieced by machine using Y seams. What the what? I didn't think anyone actually did that.

But then I remembered a tutorial I'd seen a while back. A little searching and I found it! Check out Liz's spectacular video if you're at all interested in learning this magical technique.

This is pretty much my last chance to make a grandmother's flower garden quilt (we all know by now that I'll never be able to paper piece one) so I hope I like piecing hexagons this way.

And I've finally decided on the pattern. This beautiful quilt made by Rachelle's great-grandmother is exactly what I've been searching for. I love how each flower is made with a print and a coordinating solid.

My plan is to make flowers while I'm working on other projects. If I have a fabric out that would make a great outer ring, I'll pick a coordinating solid from my stash, cut out some hexagons and use Liz's fantastic method to sew up each flower. I'll worry about how to complete the quilt top later. I'm trying to avoid getting overwhelmed right now.

I think I'll use this Etchings fabric for the center hexagons. It's my favorite!

etchings fabric

My goal for this weekend is to sew one flower, photograph it and blog it early next week. How about you? Do you have any goals for the weekend?

Comments

  1. I agree, I do not like hand sewing, but will try it now and then. I do have plans to work on a boarder for my turtle quilt and some other things, but you know how that goes, "the best layed plans", something always changes what you want to do and what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that quilt! (Rachel's great grandmother one) I think I like it b/c of the white around the flowers. It's pretty and bright and I know yours will look fabulous!! Especially with those hexes you have done there! It will be such a pretty spring/summer quilt! (well...anytime of the year quilt, you know what I mean!) those colors just remind me of spring and summer.

    No sewing plans this weekend. Maybe I'll cut and fold some muslin for my Cathedral windows quilt. hmmm....we'll see!

    Can't wait to see what you do this weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment