Log Cabins

Did you know that the first quilt to ever capture my heart was a Log Cabin? At first, I was attracted to the amazing design possibilities using color and value.

These days, I'm drawn to scrappy log cabins surrounded by sashing, white or another color. I love how each block is displayed like a little piece of art.

I saw Rita's finished log cabin the other day and was immediately inspired to make one of my very own.

Log Cabin Blocks

I knew right away that I wanted to use my green and blue Modern Meadow prints along with matching fabrics from my stash. Of course, I was mistaken about how many Modern Meadow prints I had and I set about buying the ones I was missing. But before I hit "buy", I decided I actually wanted to use only fabrics from my stash, fabrics I might otherwise have hoarded and never cut into.

Log Cabin Blocks

And I like it! I'm making 12 blocks and all of them need one more row before they're finished. I'm thinking some white sashing will be nice and I even have the perfect backing fabric...a matching flannel from my stash. Perhaps a little Kona Olive for the binding? I'll keep you posted!

Comments