Modern Sampler Quilt

It's such an exciting time to be a quilter! Even though I don't actually finish many quilts, I still pour over blogs and flickr and dream about the quilts I'd make if I had the time. Sometimes I wonder: what if I had never started quilting? What if I never found this world, this beautiful and lively quilting community?

I've met so many wonderful people and found such inspiration here. I know it's played a huge part in who I am at this moment in time. It's a world where I feel accepted and inspired, a world that fills my head with bright colors and possibility. And without that, I'd feel lost.

scrappy log cabin blocks

I saw this modern sampler quilt the other day and it immediately captured my heart. And the more I thought about it (and I thought about it a lot), the more I wanted to do something similar.

My plan is to adapt a ton of my very favorite "modern" quilts (or general styles) into blocks. It will be like a yearbook for this moment in quilting history. I'll look at it and remember this wonderful, bright, exciting time in my life. I'll remember all the quilters who inspired me every day with their modern quilting and hard work. And best of all, I'll get to try out every quilt I want to make without having to finish a few dozen quilts...which we all know is never going to happen.

scrappy log cabin blocks

I'll be posting my progress and any notes I have about each block. I'll link to the designers of the original quilts and any tutorials they have for constructing the blocks. It should be fun and I secretly hope you'll find yourself so inspired that you'll just have to make your own version. If not, I hope you'll at least enjoy looking at all of my sweet blocks.

I'll write more on this soon and I'll have my first block to show you later this week!

Comments