The Time Traveler's Wife

I read a lot. I always have at least one book going at a time, usually more than one. I'm not a fast reader so I don't get through as many books as I'd like but I'm a constant reader at least. When I struggle to find a new book to read, I feel a little lost, a little empty.

You all know how much I obsessed over Twilight. And after reading all four books (twice), I found myself at a bit of a loss. I moped around moaning "how am I ever going to find another book that's as good as Twilight?" And all melodrama aside, the books I read after Twilight definitely did not compare. I'm not saying that Twilight is a great, well written book. It's just that I enjoyed the series so much, the actual act of reading it was so much fun. There was not a boring second, not a moment's thought of putting it down.

It took me six long months to find another book that truly spoke to my heart, that had me hopping into bed as soon as I got home from work, piling up pillows and reading for hours. That book was The Time Traveler's Wife.

the time traveler's wife

Not to give you the wrong idea, it's nothing like Twilight. The writing is interesting and the mood is heavier, grittier. The characters are so real, so complicated and so wonderful. The plot is confusing at first (time travel and all (it's not a sci-fi book)) but I found it gave my brain just the right amount of frustration. There's love and sadness and despair and hope. It's all very complicated and at the same time, it's not. I just can't express the depth of this book or the many thoughts I've had about it, thoughts I have even now...weeks after finishing it.

I don't usually recommend books because I know how varied people's tastes are...I'd hate for someone to pick up a book on my recommendation and feel they've wasted their time. But this book, well, I'm just going to tell you that it's on my top 10, all time, desert island book list. Take that as you will.

Karrie and I saw the movie last weekend and while it was, in most ways, a great adaptation of the book (and quite enjoyable to watch), I think the book was better and more powerful. It was certainly richer. And since most of my pleasure when reading the book came from discovering how everything was intertwined, from watching the plot unfold through the past and present...I'd recommend reading the book first.

Also, even though it has nothing to do with this book: I found a new purse at the thrift store this weekend. Like, an actual new purse! It's aqua(!) and has just enough room (and pockets) for all my stuff. I'm a picky purse buyer so it was like fate! I thought it looked nice with the book so that's why it's in the picture and why I'm talking about it now.

And since I'm nearing the end of one of the books I'm reading and since I want to know more about you all...tell me if you want: what's your favorite book? Or, favorite books? Do you have a go-to book you like to read over and over? This is my favorite question to ask people so I hope you feel like answering!