Dance of Death

Oh no! Instead of packing anything last night, I started reading and then continued to read 2/3 of Water for Elephants. So far I'm really into it, despite the sad parts regarding old timey circus animals. Because, you know, old timey circuses are really interesting and at the same time, really terrible. So, while I'm enjoying it, I'm also horrified and sad. And I think something bad is going to happen soon. I told Ian he shouldn't read this book because it'll only depress him. He loves animals so much that he has a hard time eating animal shaped things like Peeps and chocolate bunnies. Seriously.

Anyway, the other thing I did yesterday was draw up a sketch for a masquerade costume:

idea for masquerade dress

My friend Laura is a member of the Northstar chapter of the Victorian Society in America and they're holding a masquerade ball on Halloween night. And the theme: Danse Macabre, otherwise known as The Dance of Death. I can't believe how awesome that is!

Laura and I have been tossing out ideas for costumes. The dress I thought up yesterday is my attempt at an easy Victorian-esq costume since I don't have time to make a proper outfit.

idea for masquerade dress

There are other options, of course...themes if you will. Laura is potentially going as a ghost, wearing her wedding dress as a starting point. I'm thinking about design elements like black birds or dead leaves or skeletal tree branches. I have a little bit of time before I have to choose so I'll probably share a few more sketches in the next week or two. It's going to be a tough decision and I might need your help to decide.

Also, if you have any ideas for a fancy Dance of Death costume, I'd love to hear them! What would you wear to this ball?