A Quilt for Ensign Addie

Ian and I don't have many friends, as a couple. We have separate groups of friends and rarely do we spend time with the other's group. Actually, rarely do we spend time with our own group...we're pretty solitary people.

Then Ian met Jason. They were both philosophy graduate students...it was love at first philosophical debate. A little while later, Ian and I invited Jason and his wife Ruth to meet us at a pub to watch World Cup Soccer. And we all became friends.

And a while later, Ruth and Jason told us they were having a baby. And I had this quilt designed and finished in about .25 seconds after I heard the news.

robot baby quilt


Little Ensign (that's what I named the baby) would most certainly grow to love Star Trek and robots and everything wonderful.

robot baby quilt

And she already does. Little Addie (alas! Ruth and Jason decided NOT to name her Ensign) plays on it and tries to grab the robots.

robot baby quilt


I really love this quilt, especially this little guy. Robot dogs are the best!

robot baby quilt

The back is my all time favorite flannel print...Diamond Mine from Anna Maria Horner's Folksy Flannel line.

robot baby quilt


I remember very little about this quilt because I finished it nearly a year ago. The robots and cogs came from a cheater print but I can't remember what it was called. I don't even remember how big the quilt turned out. All I know is that I love everything about it. And that Addie loves it. Which is good...because it's hers now.