Online festival of quilts!

I'm sure my quilty friends have seen this already but Amy at Park City Girl has organized a fantastic online quilt festival. I think this is such a wonderful idea and I'm really excited to be able to join in on the fun.

My faithful readers will recognize this quilt:

pink green and orange log cabin

I made it for a co-worker who had a baby girl, the first girl born to his family in five generations! It was quite a shock to everyone!

I wanted something bright, busy and not classically "girly". It's no secret that I pretty much worship Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts. When I saw this quilt, I knew I'd found my inspiration! I started out with pinks and greens but I felt it was missing something. I have no idea why I thought orange was the answer but for some reason, it just was:

log cabin detail

I feel that this is when I became a real quilter. It was my first non-practice attempt at free-motion quilting and sewing binding by hand. I worked long and hard on those log cabins and felt confident throughout the entire process. I was very proud to give this as a gift, something that I hadn't felt when I gave a couple of quilts as gifts the year before.

log cabin detail

It finished at 40"x56" which I thought would be a good size for a few years at least. I didn't want her to outgrow it right away. Her family loved it and I hope she likes it once she's old enough to know what she likes.

If you're interested, definitely check out the rest of the quilt festival...there are already so many beautiful quilts on "exhibit". Thank you Amy and thanks to everyone who stopped by to check out my entry.

Comments

  1. I so wanted to join in, but didn't feel that I had anything worthy to produce for the festival. *boo!* If she does one next year though, I'll be ready!

    I do love your quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many lovely quilts! I understand the "not ready" feeling but I definitely think your work is worthy of the festival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too! It looks so cozy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt looks amazing! Any baby would be lucky to have it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors in this quilt, its one of my favorites of yours-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt, I love the colours! It makes me think of strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks eveyone! I wanted to make one for myself but I was getting really sick of log cabins near the end...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very very pretty, and the orange totally works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! Love the colors -- looks like a strawberry patch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great rendering of Amanda Jean's quilt. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your color choices. Very pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I am going to do a courthouse steps log cabin for my wall hanging. I love the versatility of log cabins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a stunner!
    So much love went into this.
    It turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy a good quilt search, glad I found you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous colors and love all the crinkly quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. pretty colors!
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful colors and your cabins look great! The dive into free motion quilting is scary but so worth it - your quilt looks amazing with it :) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely love the colour combo! So fresh, Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very beautiful color combo! Any mama would love to have this for her baby!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful colors! What a precious gift.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The colors are amazing! I would never think to put them together. (from another Amanda Jean worshiper)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the colours...they remind me of fall. Lovely work!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the colours. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This quilt is lovely. I also read through your whole blog and I have to say, we have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so pretty. I have had a ball looking at all the quilts...and I am off to find a place to learn to quilt and take a few lessons. I feel like I really have so much to learn...but I can not wait.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great colors, I love seeing new color combinations, it's so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the colors together! The quilting is amazing also! Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it. The colors are great. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful quilt! I love the colors! Makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is beautiful. I love your color selections!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a delightful quilt. The colours are so bright and cheerful. It such a good idea to make the quilt a little larger than the usual baby quilt. I shall remember that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely beautiful. Very creative. Great use of color and design. Thank you for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very good job. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment