In the big city.

Alright, let’s see. We managed to leave the hotel a few times and I’m happy we did. We drove through San Miguel on christmas eve with a steak and lobster restaurant as our final destination.

The first thing to note is that people in the city drive fast. They pull up to stop signs fast, they drive off from stop signs fast, they weave in and out of traffic and pedestrians do NOT have the right of way. I have no idea how Mexico’s traffic laws differ from ours but surely, we’re not allowed to carry a ladder on a motorcycle, right?
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

Everything was so bright and vibrant:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

and a little run down:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

yet oddly new:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

and sort of hostile:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008

but so charmingly colorful:
From Cozumel, Mexico 2008


I truthfully did not enjoy a lot of our time spent in the city. The chorus of “Hey Lady! Great prices, just for you!” got to me in exactly the way I thought it would. People in the distance smiled and laughed, joked around and told stories. People, when they saw us, tried to sell us stuff.

We did find our restaurant and it was fun, if not especially delicious. I’m not a steak and lobster sort of girl, literally or figuratively. Making the meal much better was a trio of singers that came around and serenaded us while we sipped our margaritas and ate the best grilled bread I’ve ever tasted.

Up next, our drive around the island.

Comments

  1. I know the laws have got to differ, but in L.A., with so many illegal immigrants living there, the Mexican yard crews always have ladders precariously dangling off the edge of their vehicles. I even hit a rogue one on the 405 freeway once, thinking for sure it would kill me as it bounced in front of me and eventually made terrifying noises underneath my car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, a ladder on the freeway! Terrifying! I'm happy to hear it stopped bouncing in time. Although, running over things is terrifying too.

    I was just shocked at how different things were...especially with regards to pedestrians. They always have the right of way here (and bikes too) so to see their fragile bodies in so much danger was very hard. Also, being in a taxi while our driver impatiently mowed down people on bikes/motorcycles was also hard. When in Rome, I guess. I’m just happy I didn’t have to drive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment